Search Here!

July 13, 2012

Melancholia

I can't believe I am even going to attempt to blog about this movie. As I have mentioned before, I often watch the iTunes rental of the week. I've been wanting to see Melancholia, so I was stoked when it showed up as this week's rental. But I was completely unprepared for what followed.

I rarely have a problem putting my feelings into words. I am very expressive and can communicate pretty well when I want to. But this movie...THIS MOVIE. I might have to talk in circles to get my thoughts across. 

Life is only on Earth and not for long.
To be clear, I don't recommend it. For a few reasons. Firstly, because I think you will find it boring. Not that I am so much more enlightened than you, but I do probably have more time than you. Watching movies while stuck on campus this summer in China is not a luxury, it's a way of life. And so if you have one movie hole in your week or month, and you choose this one, I think you will be let down. But if you're up for something a little heavy, a little complex, slow and intense, then go for it! My second reason for not recommending it is because it is so intense. It left me feeling...so drawn into sadness. So so down. Like way down. Like I slept for about 15 hours after watching it. Woke up, watched it again. Cried a little and snapped at a friend in a text message before it expired and I finally forced myself to go for a walk. Heavy stuff. 

The reason I do want you to watch it, is because I really wanna know what you think! I want to know if it affects you, or if you were as impressed with Kirsten Dunst as I was. I have previously written about my dislike for her. That could be changing. Her acting in this movie is perfection. I want you to watch it because I want to know what you would do in the same situation. 

So let me try to explain what it's about. This might contain spoilers. 
I smile and I smile and I smile.
The movie is in 2 parts. 1 named for each sister. But before the movie begins we see about 8 minutes of some scenes that are not really from the movie, but slowed down and sort of reminiscent of the movie, even though we haven't actually seen the movie yet. Got that? These scenes end with an enormous planet crashing into Earth and enveloping it. Then Part 1: Justine begins. It's all about Kirsten Dunst who has just married Alexander Skarsgard. This is the night of their wedding and her sister, Claire played by Charlotte Gainsbourg, and brother-in-law, played by Keifer Sutherland, are throwing her an enormously extravagant and formal reception. As the night goes on we learn that Justine is clearly depressed. She ducks out of the party, takes a bath, takes a nap, and does many other strange things as the night progresses. Part 1 gives us a glimpse into what severe depression can look like in broad brush strokes. It also shows the relationship between the sisters. At some point in the night, Justine sees a red star. The next day when she goes horseback riding with Claire, it's gone. 

Part 2 picks up some time later and Justine's depression has worsened. She is coming to live with Claire, her brother-in-law, and her nephew. Upon her arrival, she can hardly walk, food has no taste, but slowly she improves under the care of Claire. Justine learns that when she saw the red star and then it disappeared, it was because it was eclipsed by a new planet, Melancholia. The planet is said to be heading toward Earth and will do a "fly by." The two planets will have a dance of death, but scientists claim that Earth not be hit. Claire's husband is obsessed with this and excited, but Claire is terrified. As the movie goes on, we see the sisters interact with each other and their emotions in light of what could be the end of the world.
He's forgotten about the magic cave.
I could say so much more. But for fear of ruining a movie that I have not recommended to you, I will just add one more thing. Lons Von Trier made this movie after visiting a therapist for depression. The therapist told him that often people who are depressed are able to handle horrible events in calm ways that people who are emotionally well, cannot. This is a beautiful and breathtaking movie that might have you rolling your eyes, or might move you beyond words. 

4 comments:

  1. I have to admit, I am kind of intrigued now!

    Interesting comment from the therapist...hmmm....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I cannot confirm or deny that you should see it! ;)

      Delete
  2. I think I might wait on this. I feel in a funk already, and I totally don't need my funk deepened by anything. haha I'll put this movie on a shelf for a sunnier tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Don't do it...it's heavy! (but good.....?)

      Delete