Search Here!

July 16, 2012

Talk Amongst Yourselves. Here's A Topic: Anne Hathaway


The following is an actual conversation I recently had on Facebook about Anne Hathaway.
The heart shaped upper lip is nice but that's a lot of eye white.
RB: I just watched the Dark Knight trailer. Why won't Anne Hathaway. just go away? Who is she? She has to be connected to someone. And she has the greatest agent in the world.


Me: You sound like that pin that's going around on Pinterest the one about when you don't like someone, you don't like anything they do..."Look at that bitch eating those crackers."


RB: I don't like her. I hate to think of anyone campaigning for a part. If you're right for it, let them come after you. It's kinda pathetic.


Me: Oh, did she campaign for it? I find it hard to believe that Nolan would give into that kind of pressure in order to protect his precious trilogy.


RB: I don't know that she did, but I suspect it. I can't imagine anyone thinking Catwoman just has to be Anne Hathaway. She hath a way of showing up where she doesn't belong. Les Mis for example. Or the Oscars.


Me: Well now I hate to say it, but I think she's kind of the Julia Roberts of our time.


RB: Then don't say it. It's not true.


Me: But I think it is.


RB: She is not! You take that back!


Me: She IS! She's sweet, cute. And that movie Love and Other Drugs was goodish with her in it.


RB: She was good as an ugly duckling for Disney and in Prada, but that is it. No..she did good as a crazy sister no one liked in Rachel Getting Married.


Me: I think most people like her and her mouth is even like Julia Roberts a little.


RB: Not even close. She is not sweet or cute. She is odd looking and uncomfortable in her own skin. She is awkward.


Me: She's authentic.


RB: She was ridiculous in Alice and Wonderland.


Me: That whole movie was ridiculous.


RB: So it's even MORE amazing that her performance should stand out over the top to the extremely ridiculous! And she's not odd looking in that striking way like Julia is. She's just odd looking. And you didn't even boo or anything at my "hath a way" comment.


Me: I saw it.


(Silence...)


Me: I prefer Natalie Portman.


RB: Well who wouldn't? She's good enough to be forgiven for the whole Clone Wars thing. Anne is the only daughter of a lawyer and an actress.  That explains a lot.


Me: I guess it does.


(Break in conversation to discuss musicals for a few minutes.)


RB: I guess I've never told you how much I hate Phantom of the Opera, but we've already had one disagreement today.


Me: What was the first disagreement?


RB: Anne Hathaway.


Me: That wasn't really a passionate debate though. I was just pushing back some. But I will fight you to the death on Phantom.


RB: It's twisted....


(Break in conversation to fight about Phantom.)


A few days later...
If Halle Berry and Julia Roberts (from Hook) had a baby....
RB: Ok. I just saw a picture of Anne Hathaway, perfect example of why I can't stand her.


Me: This again? Okay...let me have it.


RB: She got a pixie cut. I'm sure for Les Mis or something, but she should know she can't pull that off. She is always trying things she can't pull off. She doesn't know her limitations. She was brought up in a Disney world of doing whatever you dream.


Me: My entire generation was brought up with that.


RB: She is the perfect example of how it doesn't work out. Then you end up as a co-host on the Today show when you should be a hard hitting journalist on Sunday Morning news shows.


Me: So you read my Ann Curry blog?


RB: You end up being the Catwoman no one wants to watch. Here's what I want to say about Anne's hair. All of us want Halle Berry hair, but we know we don't have the face to go with it. Someone needs to tell Anne this.


Me: I do want Halle Berry hair.


RB: Don't do it.


Me: I know, I know. 


RB: She's like Rachel on Glee. Groomed for stardom like a show dog. Which makes me wonder why Rachel goes to public school...


Me: Because she has two dads...liberals.


RB: Anyway, Anne is lanky and awkward in her skin. Like a perpetual High School Freshman.


Me: I never noticed that about her. But you were right about her being odd looking the other day. I went back and looked...you're right...something's a little off.


RB: I'm trying to think about why I hate her face. I think it reminds me of my best friend growing up who ditched me and broke me and my boyfriend up and then married him.


Me: That would do it.


RB: But more than anything, I just get the idea that she's like one of those girls in High School that was never popular but always got the lead roles in the Spring drama. 


Me: Sure, those girls were definitely annoying. 


RB: The worst. You know, I didn't mind her in one movie though.


Me: Which one?


RB: Hoodwinked.


Me: Isn't that animated? You can't even see her in it!


RB: Exactly.
Drama.

What do YOU think about Anne Hathaway?

13 comments:

  1. I totally love her in the ugly duckling Disney phase. I think she's weird in Bride Wars. Like she has the Julie Andrews so sweet she hurts persona and then is a mean girl in the movie. That's weird for me.

    But I don't hate her really.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Bride Wars just made me love Kate Hudson. Anne was so sad in it. But don't you just love when Julie Andrews cuts someone in that accent without them even knowing it? Is Anne that clever?

      Delete
  2. I like her a lot. But, I agree that she is best in the earlier stuff. If you want all-american cute, my vote is Jennifer Garner.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are right on about Jennifer Garner being so All-American cutie. But her acting...she's got to expand it I think. I liked her in Juno the best.

      Delete
  3. I like Anne, I always have and I probably always will. Duets with Hugh Jackman, Les Mis, and pixie cuts be damned. Also, I can think of a worse idea for Les Mis than Anne Hathaway: Taylor Swift. That would have made me refuse to see it with my own money. I would want to watch it eventually out of curiosity (like Twilight), but not at a theater and not with my own money. Its not that I don't like Taylor Swift, I think she's a great song WRITER and she is sweet and a great role model for young girls, but if she were put into a musical, especially something so epic, I would be enraged. I suppose that's how some people feel about Anne, but I am looking forward to that one. Sorry, RB. Sorry I'm not sorry.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Agreed about Taylor Swift. No way has she earned that. At least Anne has a resume!

      Delete
  4. Not really a fan of hers, but I did like her in Prada. Did you see Becoming Jane? Painful to watch. Why do they ever cast American actresses for British roles? And Jane Austen??? That's so wrong. I'm wondering how the bright-eyed look that she has will age. Will she be able to get a decent role at age 40?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great point about the bright eyed look aging. Can't wait to see that! Or it might just be depressing...she might end up looking cartoonish or something.

      Delete
  5. http://surisburnbook.tumblr.com/post/27062857073/my-life-is-over-katie-or-as-she-would-like-to

    a little vindication from suri cruise for my friend RB!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am kind of torn on the whole Hathaway thing. On one hand she's perky, pleasant and I did enjoy her in The Devil Wears Prada although I thought Emily Blount stole that movie from her. That being said, in my book she is kind of awkward/gangly. While I understand the comparison to Julia Roberts I don't really feel that it is apples to apples. In her heyday, JR was far and away bigger boxoffice. She was "the" girl. Today I think you could choose several actresses that would be considered A list but Julia Roberts reached that super elite "Superstar" status that Hathaway does not have.
    I don't mind AH, I think she's ok. I loved the above comment about the doe eyed thing when she turns 40. That is where Julia has managed to still be rocking it at 45. Just my two cents.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are totally right! She has not reached the super-stardom that JR had at that age or even now. But who has? Do we have superstars like that? Would that be the Twilight cast? I think our superstars today are more performers, singers, than actors. Who would you classify as a superstar in Anne's generation? I need to think on that one...

      Delete
  7. I'm thinking RB would be angry to read any favorable comparison between the cast of Twilight and Julia Roberts or superstars in general. As for AH, I'm not a fan.

    ReplyDelete