Search Here!

August 15, 2012

The Failures of Jennifer Aniston

It's no secret that I am Team Angelina ALL THE WAY. Not only does she out-sexy, out-act, and out-philanthropy Jennifer Aniston (as well as most celebrities), I like her way in the world. We have gotten to watch her grow up, to watch her change. From kissing her brother and wearing Billy Bob's blood around her neck, to taking a genuine interest in global dilemmas and becoming a mother of...what is it, 6 now?
I love strawberries and now, so do you.

You probably don't like Angelina because of the whole Brad Pitt/Jennifer Aniston thing. You can't see how anyone could leave or hurt adorable Rachel! But the truth I have accepted about this, that you should also come to terms with is that: no one can be stolen unless they want to be stolen. Maybe that is an ignorant single girl's perspective, but I think it has some truth to it. So stop blaming Angelina for all the bad things that have happened to Aniston and let's look at the reality of things. I won't point out the details of her failures, just generalities to keep things polite.

Jennifer Aniston is not a good actress.
As my friend, Carmen stated earlier this week, Aniston doesn't usually take roles outside of her little Rom/Com genre. When she does (The Good Girl, Friends With Money) the movies kind of go under the radar. Because NO ONE wants to see Aniston try to play sad or down on her luck after her time as Rachel on Friends. The closest to good acting that I have seen from her was in The Break Up. Both she and Vince Vaughn stepped a foot or so outside of their normal smiley roles and showed a slightly darker side or what I like to refer to as "what happens after the Rom/Com ends." It's fine that she is niche, it pays the bills. But being cute doesn't make you a good actress and being typecast does not make you respected. Just ask Katherine Heigl.
Wait, is this the angle of my head right? Oh, she had a strawberry? 

Jennifer Aniston has no discernment when it comes to men.
You would think that Aniston would go after a Tom Hanks type...a really nice guy since she seems to wear her badge as America's Sweetheart so proudly. Someone like James Marsden, Brendan Fraser, or Hugh Jackman even. Instead,her dating history includes Vince Vaughn, John Mayer, and Bradley Cooper. And you think that's gonna work out for you? So now she's engaged to Justin Theroux. Who, by the way, usually plays a jerk....a bad boy. And he proposed on his birthday. HOW MANIPULATIVE CAN YOU GET?  I wish her the best in this relationship...but I have my doubts. How could I not?

Jennifer Aniston has no REAL friends.
This is a slap in the face I know given that her fame came from a show called Friends. And yes, I've seen the pics of her and Courtney Cox hugging and read all about how supportive Cox is of her. But if she had any real friends, they would tell her...knock it off with the bad boys. Stop looking like you're pining after Brad and like you're jealous of Angelina. That break up has seemed to define her life. I guess if she were really as great as everyone says she is, if she were really America's Sweetheart...she wouldn't come across as so...pathetic. Maybe it's just the media twisting these things, but when you are a celebrity, you almost have to do something purposefully to change the vibe...and I don't mean do a movie that's a little out of character or something weird with your hair (Miley...what are you thinking!). I mean, make a change. Be real. Whatever you need to do, do that thing already Aniston. Angelina has reinvented herself time and time again, take some cues from her since she "took" so much from you.

I am and will always be Team Angelina. But I don't wish bad things for Aniston. I love nothing more than a story of a comeback, an underdog. "The most celebrated are the rehabilitated." I believe that with all of my heart. But on the other hand, I hate a victim. We all have heartaches, but take control of your life already Jennifer!
Here we go again.
I know many of you will have a hard time with this post, even though it honestly doesn't even BEGIN to cover my feelings on Jennifer and Angelina. (I have written entire essays about this topic.) I just wanted to address some of my thoughts on Aniston alone to get the conversation going. I welcome your rebuttals. I am sure you are Team Jenn...so tell me why!

You can post in the comments, or if you want to write a blog response, please send it to catidwell222@gmail.com or message me at Weekend Fat on Facebook.

15 comments:

  1. Aww. Poor Jen. She is just not on your short list of awesome, huh?

    Three reasons I love Anniston:

    1- Friends. Yeah, I know. Dumbass reason. I own the whole series and watch it almost constantly as background noise or entertainment, depending on my mood. I love her hair (duh) and her smile. I love her relationship with Joey (even before the weird romance stuff happened). I love when she yells at Ross, "It doesn't happen to everyone. It's not that common, and it is a big deal!" So maybe I just really love Rachel. Anyway, for me, they are the same thing. Which I think is one of your points against her. Meh.

    2- Dream for an Insomniac- random movie nobody has seen ever. I love her here because she plays an actress who is trying to be an actress (meta, right?!). I love that she tries on accent after accent. It's so silly.

    3- I totally thought she and Brad were the a-typical Hols couple that would last forever. When they broke up, I lost my faith in marriage. Ok, not really, but it didn't help. I just felt so bad for both of them at that break up. Poor Brad. Poor Jen. Hot Angelina.

    Last random thought:

    I totally don't judge her for going after bad boys. She had Mr. Squarejaw American Hero. He left her for Mrs. Dangerous and Sexy. What the hell? Throw caution to the wind. And let's be honest, if you or I looked that good (ever, or at that age), we probably wouldn't stick to the Mr. Squarejaw men. I'd totally chase John Mayer. I wouldn't be upset when he slept with some teen songstress though. He's a ho. You gotta be smart when you date the hot bad boy. Be in it for one thing: fun. Bad boys aren't happily ever after boys. You don't take them to the Oscars- they can't behave in monkey suits. You ride through the Hollywood hills on the back of their bike. You wear leather when you go on dates with them. You don't say yes when they ask you to marry them. In that way, I would say she bombed at the bad boy dating thing.

    Here's an article you should read:
    http://ca.shine.yahoo.com/photos/jennifer-aniston-s-changing-look-slideshow/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lacey...you make some decent points. FRIENDS will always be her triumph. You have mentioned the insomniac movie to me before, I will check it out. And I have no problem with her going after bad boys, just don't WHINE about it when you end up alone!

      I read the article you linked to...and I gotta say...I think it's overcompensation for past criticism. :/

      Delete
  2. LOVE this:
    "I totally don't judge her for going after bad boys. She had Mr. Squarejaw American Hero. He left her for Mrs. Dangerous and Sexy. What the hell? Throw caution to the wind."

    I hate Angelina. Brad isn't high on my list (it takes two to tango)but I at least enjoy his movies. I don't think Angelina is a great actress either. What has she truly been GREAT in? Girl, Interrupted? Hardly great. Good...maybe.
    I enjoy Anniston. Her roles may not be a reach, but they are fun.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am rethinking Angelina's acting..and she had nailed the action genre, which isn't much more than the Rom/Com genre. So maybe they are equal on that one...

      Delete
  3. Jenn vs Angelina is the best case of six of one, half dozen of another I can think of. they both have their own brand of crazy and this is proven in the fact that they both married Brad. I have trouble defending anyone who marries Brad. He actually said of his marriage to Jenn that they would just roll the dice and see how it goes....marriage doesn't always work so we will just see. (something along those lines)So if I had to, I would give one extra crazy point to Angelina for marrying him after he is on record for saying such stupid things. He also says he is not sure about having kids because he might "f***" them up. Hmmm...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. But when did he say that about the kids? I mean...maybe that was his way of saying he does not want to have them with Jenn???? i do think angelina wears the pants in their relationship. brad has lost his appeal. that's no secret.

      Delete
  4. I am on neither side. I feel they are all adults and knew what they were getting themselves into. The only people I feel sorry for are the Brangelina posse. Just because they have a lot of kids doesn't make them good parents.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. But are they bad parents? I mean...how can we even know? In Hollywood if you don't dangle your baby over a balcony, I think you are a good parent...so by that standard...they are winning right?

      Delete
  5. Oh my gosh... this is SO true: "no one can be stolen unless they want to be stolen".

    My better half and I always say, it's gonna happen in any relationship: other people will throw attention your way, someone exciting may stumble into your world and you may even entertain a few ideas... but there is always a point where you choose to indulge in behaviors you KNOW will erode your relationship. If you keep making those choices, it doesn't matter who "made the move" or "who pursued who".

    So, well put.

    To weigh in: team ANGELINA, baby. Although I have to say, I really like her best with Billy Bob. They worked in a fascinating, passionate and completely bonkers kind of way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. FINALLY! Someone on "my side!" All GREAT points about relationships that you made up there. TRUE. But you are gonna need to go into more detail on why you liked her and Billy Bob...

      Delete
  6. I will NEVER be on Angelina's team. Your argument about not having friends is not really valid because from everything I read Angelina is despised and has no friends in Hollywood. Also, all the media stuff about Jennifer (ie not wanting kids, pining for Brad, etc..) has come from Angelina. She is the one who leaks the info. I also despise her for publicly denouncing her father for behavior she has exhibited on many occasions.
    All that being said, I get why some people don't like Jennifer. She's not the sweet girl many want her to be. But neither is Meg Ryan, Julia Roberts, Reese Witherspoon, etc... However, she IS better than a heroin addicted, philandering (yes, she has cheated on Brad), bi-sexual, man/woman stealer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is a great point I have not considered about Angelina. I have never really heard anything in reference to her friends...which means she probably doesn't have any. Good point.

      I don't need Jennifer to be sweet, I just need to her to not seem so pathetic and sad!

      And tell me how you really feel about Angelina! HAHAHAHA!

      Delete
  7. Okay, I have to say: I admire CRAZY in a person. I do. I teach children that are sometimes called that by society, and I secretly think: "Yeah but that kid has more CAJONES than you and me put together." I like it in a person. Now granted, it's easier for people to tolerate your "crazy" when you are 8 years old, but there is something to be said for crazy adults...especially when they look like Angelina. ;)
    In truth, I believe that Angelina has some kind of emotional disorder. Be it the on again off again anorexia, the vile of blood, the crazy "tortured artist" tattoos or just the fact that she seems like she used a great deal of drugs in her life, I SPY CRAZY. However, she also seems like a really loving mother. She has a commitment to the world around her and has used her celebrity power to highlight some of the world's poorest regions. Consider her first adoption country. Cambodia is one of the world’s poorest countries, and still struggles with the after-effects of the devastating war that ravaged the country. Jolie has been recognized as the foreigner who has done the most for the country in recent history, and was awarded honorary citizenship in 2006.
    That is amazing! Crazy or not, I have to relent that she is done a lot to support human rights.
    Also, I tend to believe that people can't "steal" people. I have been cheated on before. It sucks bad. But it wasn't the other woman. My problems in the relationship were with my mate. So, I tend to forgive Angelina easily there. Should she have known better? Absolutely. However, has she worked to leave the world better than when she entered it…I think so (and so do many hurting, poor, voiceless children around the world).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anna...I'm with you. I like someone who can go against the grain, and often that appears crazy! I also love that she is truly interested in global matters. And I don't think she is doing it for show, I think she is really a good person and interested in helping! As far emotional issues go...CERTAINLY! But who doesn't?

      Delete
  8. Okay...this is why I'm Team Angelina


    I don't think of Jennifer Aniston as pathetic and sad.....Jennifer Aniston WANTS to remind us she used to be married to Brad Pitt, still being associated with Brad Pitt is the only reason why she's still making movies. Has anyone notice how Aniston is the only FRIEND who build a movie career? (I always though Lisa Kudrow was a better actress/comedian. )
    Brad Pitt is an A-list actor, and by association Jennifer Aniston is one. But wait a minute...When was the last time Jennifer got a big role? a really good opening weekend? the last relevant thing she did was Bruce Almighty and we are talking Jim Carrey at the peek of his career. What came after that for her? Marley and Me? Rumor Has it? He's not that into you did ok at the box office but we are talking a big-name ensemble cast. Brad Pitt can do any movie he wants and Hollywood knows is gonna have a huge ticket sale. The same with Angelina, she can choose any project and just having her in the movie means big bucks in the opening weekend, I'm the first one to admit that her oscar nomination for "Changeling" was laughable, that was a really mediocre movie, but she got nominated anyway, why? cause her boyfriend is an A-List actor, she's Hollywood elite. Jennifer Aniston was Hollywood elite, too, when she was married. She's not an A-List actor, maybe she never was. When she got divorced, Jennifer Aniston went back to being just Rachel Green.
    Angelina is interesting, she changes her hair, her accent, she can't not do comedy to save her life...but she can deliver lines like old hollywood screen siren. She got this Saint/Sinner vibe going on. She's the bad girl, the mother, the sexy spy, the mother, the humanist, the bisexual, the homewrecker, the lips...oh dear lord, those lips...

    Poor Rachel Green never had a chance. And Ross Geller would agree with me. Brad Pitt does.


    greetings fellow Team Angelina!



    Lisa.

    ReplyDelete